Legislation and policies
The National Anti-Discrimination Information Gateway provides a portal into the various Commonwealth, State and Territory Acts relating to human rights and anti-discrimination.
Relevant Commonwealth legislation relating to bullying, harassment, discrimination and violence include:
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC) Act 1986
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Racial Hatred Act 1995
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984.
Policies are often amended or changed. A small number of relevant policy links are listed below by jurisdiction. For more detailed and current information regarding any policy, it is recommended you refer to your local education authority website.
Federal Government policies
Relevant Federal policies can be located on the Australian Government Department of Education website .
State and territory policies
Australian Capital Territory (click to expand)
- State Schools
- Providing Safe Schools P-12
- Countering Bullying, Harassment and Violence in ACT Public Schools
- Countering Racism in ACT Public Schools
- Countering Sexual Harassment in ACT Public Schools
- Keeping Children Safe in Cyberspace
- Archdiosese of Canberra and Goulburn
- Association of Independent Schools of the ACT
New South Wales (click to expand)
Northern Territory (click to expand)
Queensland (click to expand)
- Statement of expectations for a disciplined school environment
- Code of school behaviour
- Safe, supportive and disciplined school environment
- Responsible behaviour plan for students
- Schoolwide Positive Behaviour Support (SWPBS)
- Queensland Catholic Education Commission
- Independent Schools Queensland
South Australia (click to expand)
Tasmania (click to expand)
Victoria (click to expand)
Western Australia (click to expand)
- Behaviour Management in Schools (BMIS) Policy
- Inclusive education
- Anti-Racism Policy
- Catholic Education Western Australia
- Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia (Inc)
Catholic and Independent school policies
The Catholic Education Commission in each state or territory has relevant information.
Independent schools are autonomous and governed by their own school boards. For policies regarding a particular independent school please contact the school directly.